We recommend films on this page which deal with the theme of ghosts in a truthful way. Unfortunately, there are not many of them. The majority of films on this subject has story-lines based on the authors' fantasies aimed at awakening sensations in the viewers, fear etc.
Many people will undoubtedly have seen some of the films mentioned below. It would, however, be worth seeing them again and paying particular attention to the way they show the subject of ghosts.
- "The last sign", USA, 2005, with Andie MacDowell, Tim Roth. Andie MacDowell portrays a woman who is tormented by the ghost of her abusive, alcoholic husband who tries to contact her in many ways. She must come to terms with the past if she is to find peace and love. Tim Roth plays her deceased husband who shows us that hate can live on after death and that forgiveness is the only way to overcome the chains that bind ghosts and the living ones together. A movie that is both excellent and truthful.
- "Ghost", 1990, with Patrick Swayzee, Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg. The film describes the adventures of a hero who dies unexpectedly and leads the life of a ghost for a time. The film shows the existence after "death" of a person who dies suddenly. It's worth using it to see how we will perceive ourselves and our surrounding after "death", what choices we'll be presented with etc.
- "The Sixth Sense", 1999, with Bruce Willis, Haley Joel Osment. The film tells the story of a young boy in whom "the sixth sense", or the chakran of the third eye, is activated when he is still very young, enabling him to see ghosts. An excellent film showing the facts in a very real way. The boy sees the world of ghosts but at the same time he can't share this knowledge with anyone for fear that he will frighten those around him or be regarded as a lunatic.
- "A Beautiful Mind", USA 2001, with Russell Crowe, Ed Harris, Jennifer Connelly. This film is based on authentic facts and describes the story of a scientist of genius, winner of the Nobel Prize, who was also a schizophrenic possessed by ghosts. John Forbes Nash takes the ghosts which have possessed him to be reality and becomes increasingly troubled which causes him great suffering... This comes to an end only at the moment when he resolves to part from the ghosts once and for all...
- "What Dreams May Come", USA 1998, with Robin Williams, Annabelle Sciorra. A picture showing the fate of a hero who dies in a tragic accident and his adventures after "death" which take place in part in the world of ghosts. A very worth-while film which shows in a very transparent and real way "life after death".
- "The Others", USA 2001, with Nicole Kidman, Fionnula Flanagan, Christopher Ecclestone. The film describes the story of a mother and her three children living in a house haunted by ghosts. An excellent film. I won't describe it further because I don't want to give away the very surprising ending.
- "Restless Spirits", Canada 1999, with Julianna Wimbles, Lothaire Bluteau, a film sometimes broadcast by the Hallmark channel. It deals with the adventures of two pilots in the twenties who died in a plane accident and didn't realize they are no longer alive. Every day they repeat and relive the moment of their deaths. It's only when they meet a little girl who has the gift of being able to see ghosts that they are led to understand what really happened more than fifty years earlier.
- "Defending Your Life", USA 1991, with Meryl Streep and Albert Brooks. An excellent film describing the fate of a man who, after "death", comes to a beautiful township inhabited by people who had "died" and are undergoing a process of "verification" aiming at answering the question if they have to return to the Earthly School or if they have matured sufficiently to lead a further life in "Heaven". An enjoyable comedy which is, nevertheless, based on the truth starring the brilliant Meryl Streep.
- "Just Like Heaven", USA, 2005, with Reese Witherspoon, Mark Ruffalo. Elizabeth (Reese Witherspoon) is a dedicated, workaholic doctor who gets into a car accident and becomes a ghost stuck between heaven and earth. She doesn't recognize that and thinks nothing has happened until she meets David (Mark Ruffalo), a lonely architect, who rents her old apartment. David thinks he's crazy by seeing Elizabeth's ghost and tries all ways to get rid of her, but she just won't go away. David tries to find out who Elizabeth was, and is very surprised with his discovering. An amusing and very truthfully made movie.
- "Charlie St. Cloud" (ang. "Charlie St. Cloud"), USA 2010. with Zac Efron, Kim Basinger. This movie describes the story of a main character who, after suffering the physical loss of his brother, receives visits from him in the astral body. The movie also includes a romantic story between 2 people, where the women, after enduring a serious accident, contacts her lover in the spiritual body. This is an interesting and very true story about life after death and communication between the living and deceased.